Four Directions specializes in geology- rocks, minerals, and fossils- but we are more than just a rock shop! Our inventory changes regularly, but read below to learn more about our most popular items. If you are looking for anything in particular please do not hesitate to contact us.
Rocks & Minerals
We stock a wide variety of rocks, minerals, fossils, and semi-precious gems from around the world. These pieces range in form: polished spheres, standing freeforms, hearts, palm stones, tumbled, points and obelisks, slices and slabs, sculptures, wall hangings, etc. And of course we have natural crystals, rough, and raw stones in a range of sizes. Pricing depends on weight, quality, and relative rarity of the stone. We have dozens of stone varieties under $10, as well as larger or more rare and expensive specimens.
Quartz Crystals: Amethyst, Citrine, Aura Quartz, Rose Quartz, Smokey Quartz, Limonite Quartz, Hematoid Quartz, Cactus Quartz, Clear Quartz
Microcrystalline Quartz: Agate (Lake superior agate, blue lace agate, brazilian agate, crazy lace agate), Carnelian, Chalcedony, Jasper (Polychrome jasper, Ocean jasper, Mookaite jasper, Bumblebee jasper, Ibis jasper), Onyx
Feldspar: Labradorite, Rainbow Moonstone, Amazonite, Black Moonstone, Peach Moonstone
Other silicates: Chrysocolla, Kyanite (black and blue), Tourmaline (black [Schorl], blue [Euphoralite], red [Rubellite], pink, green, watermelon), spodumene (Kunzite, Hiddenite), Garnet, Peridot, tanzanite, Beryl (Aquamarine, Emerald)
Sulfides: Pyrite, Sphalerite, Galena, Cinnabar
Carbonates: Calcite (mexican calcite, optical calcite, cobalt-calcite, septarian, goethite with calcite), Aragonite, Magnesite (Howlite), Rhodochrosite, Malachite, Azurite
Oxides: Goethite, Hematite, Corundum (ruby, sapphire), rutile (in quartz)
Sulfates: Barite, Celestite, Anhydrite (Angelite), Gypsum (Selenite)
Michigan Geology: native copper, specular hematite, slag, lake superior agate, “yooper rock” (stone with fluorescent hackmanite), “Detroit agate” aka fordite (paint overspray from automobile factories in Detroit), petoskey stone
Rocks & Mineraloids: obsidian, opal, lapis lazuli, shungite
We currently have 25+ different genera of fossils!
- Amber (sometimes with bugs!), mostly baltic
- Green River Formation fish fossils, usually Knightia and Diplomystus
- Trilobites from Morocco and Utah
- Ammonites from Madagascar, Morocco, and South Dakota
- Ammolite from Canada
- Cephalopods from Morocco and South Dakota
- Fossil flies and dragonfly larvae
- Crabs from Madagascar
- Dinosaur bones & teeth from the USA, including Maiasaura (and other Hadrosaurs) and theropods
- Aquatic reptiles like mosasaurs and ichthyosaurs
- Non-aquatic reptiles like Phytosaurs and alligators
- Shark teeth including Megalodon and Odotus obliqus
- Mammoth Teeth and Tusks
- A few other mammals such as Bison occidentalis and our prized Ice Age wolverine skull
- Other invertebrates (starfish, sand dollars, gryphaea shells, brachiopods, etc)
Four Directions currently has 10+ jewelry cases full of sterling silver and semi-precious stone pendants, earrings, rings, bracelets, and cuff links.
We stock every birthstone:
- January – Garnet
- February – Amethyst
- March – Aquamarine
- April – Diamond (alternative: quartz)
- May – Emerald
- June – Pearl or Moonstone
- July – Ruby
- August – Peridot
- September – Sapphire
- October – Opal or Tourmaline
- November – Citrine or Topaz
- December – Tanzanite or Turquoise
Other popular stones for jewelry include baltic amber, ammolite from Canada, Larimar from the Dominican Republic, labradorite & moonstone, and a variety of jaspers.
Our natural stone drop-pendants, stretch bracelets, and beaded necklaces are a great lower-price point option.
We have a limited selection of jewelry made by Navajo and Zuni artists from Arizona and New Mexico.
Art & Decor
The paintings and sculptures in our store are all made by artists from Michigan and elsewhere in the USA.
- Sareka Unique – Canvas paintings – Ypsilanti
- Alex Menzor – canvas paintings + prints – Kalamazoo
- Emily Carra – Canvas Paintings + prints – Kalamazoo
- Al Glann – Bronze Sculptures – Tucson
- John Benedict – Steel Sculptures – Tucson
- Sandy Cline – Soapstone Sculptures – Ohio
- Polished Native Michigan Copper with Steel stands – Cory Cotter – Rochester, Mi
Home Decor & Gifts
We carry a small selection of goods from Cognitive Surplus (based in Portland) specifically their earth science designs (notebooks, glass tumblers, vacuum flasks, zipper pouches, greeting cards)
Lamps: himalayan salt, mexican onyx, brazilian agate, and moroccan selenite.
Tables: Side tables, coffee tables, and wine-bars made of natural stone (material varies but we regularly have petrified wood and fossil stone).